Vacation Rental Cleaning Services – What to Expect?
Short-term rentals are replacing hotel stays for many travelers as they look for a unique experience and the comforts of home. Having a clean, safe space for a guest is an essential duty of a host and is one of the factors in Airbnb’s guest rating system. If you want to maintain an impeccable reputation and don’t have the time to do it yourself, hiring a cleaning crew is the best way.
To find the best service for your needs, there are a few things you should consider:
- The number of guests and size of the property that will be cleaned
- The amount of time the cleaning will take
- The type of cleaning required (regular, special occasion, deep clean, etc.)
- Do you need a one-time clean, or will you need regular help?
- The availability of the service in your area
Each of the items above impacts the cost of the service and the type of service you require.
What services should a cleaner provide after each guest’s stay?
Airbnb guests should expect their professional cleaners to come in after each guest’s stay to tidy up and make the home look its best. Basic cleaning should at least include:
- Clean the floors, bathrooms, kitchen, and all surfaces throughout the home to be clean.
- Vacuum carpets and rugs
- Bed sheets, towels, and linens are replaced
- Empty trash and recycling bins
- Clean any dishes used by the previous guest and place them in the appropriate cabinets
- Turn off all lights and turn on all fans if necessary
- The cleaner should tidy up any messes and make sure all doors and windows are closed properly.
What Should Services Beyond Regular Cleaning Should I Consider?
All cleaning crews should provide the basic services however an Airbnb host also has additional needs for a cleaning service to provide. Some examples may include:
- Deep or Monthly Cleanings: Additionally, cleaning that goes well beyond the normal refresh between guest stays. These tend to get the “hard to reach” places, clean blinds, shades, and other additional items to thoroughly clean the property. These could be once a month or after rather large parties.
- Laundry service: most hosts have extra linens to speed up guest turnover time, but you will need either a service to clean old linens or ask the cleaner to use in-unit laundry machines. Due to the time required to do multiple loads, a service is usually required.
- Damage Checks: if you’re managing the property remotely, the cleaning crew might be the only staff you have onsite between guests. Asking the crew to review and report any damage to the property can be essential to keeping the property well maintained.
- Maintenance Checks: Somewhat similar to above, but any property will have wear and tear or minor maintenance issues (leaky sink, water damage from storms). Asking the cleaning crew to keep an eye out and share can be helpful to line up maintenance during gap days between guests. To be organized, it’s beneficial to create a maintenance checklist of the common items to review regularly.
- Property inventory: A rental property has all materials required for cleaning or guest amenities. A cleaning crew can share with the host when stock needs to be replenished. Creating an inventory checklist can be a helpful guide to ensure nothing goes out of stock.
How do I find a cleaning service for my short-term rental?
Finding a cleaning service for your Airbnb rental can be a daunting task. There are many options, and it can be difficult to know which one is the best for you. Here are some tips to help you find the best cleaning service for your needs.
- Do your research. There are many online reviews of cleaning services that can help you choose the best option for you. Make sure to read about the company’s services, rates, and past customer feedback.
- Ask around. Your friends, family, and other homeowners in your area may have used a particular cleaning service before and could recommend them to you. Ask if they know of any potential cleaners that would be a good fit for your rental property.
- Check with your landlord or homeowner’s association. Some associations may require their members to use specific cleaning services, so it is worth checking with them first. If necessary, you can also inquire about using a contracted service instead of hiring an individual cleaner on your own.
- Request quotes from several providers. When reaching out to potential cleaners, be sure to specify the services you require. This way, you can be sure that the cleaner is qualified for the job and will provide the level of service you’re looking for. Additionally, ask for a bid before hiring anyone. This will give you a sense of the cost and allow you to compare prices before making a decision.
- Try out some online resources for cleaning services, such as:
How to negotiate a cleaning service contract
When looking for a cleaning service, it’s essential to be prepared to negotiate. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
- Start by assessing the amount of work that needs to be done. Is one room only needing to be cleaned? Do five rooms need attention?
- Factor in the price. Is the rate per room or per hour? How much does the contractor charge for extra services (like deep cleaning)?
- Be clear about what you expect from the cleaner. Are they only responsible for cleaning, or are they also responsible for taking out the trash and making sure there is no clutter in the space?
- Ensure that you have all the necessary paperwork before engaging a cleaner. The cleaner should have a valid license and insurance; you may also need to provide proof of residency.
- Watch for red flags. If the cleaner isn’t timely in their replies when asking for a price or information or is unprofessional, it is best to move on to another provider.
Overall, these tips will help make the negotiation process easier. Just be sure to stay organized and know what you’re asking for.
How much should a cleaning service cost to clean my vacation rental?
Most Airbnb cleaning services offer various cleaning options to suit your needs. Typical rates for a one-time clean range from $50 to $125, and monthly rates are also available. Some services also offer discounts for longer bookings or multiple cleans per month. Rates can vary, of course, based on the local market and the size of your property, so get multiple bids to ensure you are getting a fair rate.
Other considerations for selecting a short-term rental cleaning service
When searching for an Airbnb cleaning service, selecting a provider that meets your specific needs is important. Here are some other items to consider when searching for a cleaning service:
- Consider the size of the team. A large cleaning company may be able to do more thorough work than a small one, but it may also be more expensive.
- Ask about references. Many providers have previous clients who can vouch for their quality work.
- Meet with the cleaners in person. This will give you a better idea of their attitude and how they work.
- Be clear about your expectations. You should give the cleaners a list of specific tasks to be completed and make sure they understand your house layout and what is required to clean it.
- Be prepared to pay for the cleaning service in advance. This will help prevent any surprises during the cleaning process.
- Make sure the cleaning service is licensed and insured. This will protect you in case of accidents or damage.
- Ask the cleaning service about reimbursement policies. Some companies will only accept cash payment, while others may offer a discount on future services if the cleaning is completed on time.
What to do if you’re not happy with the service
If you’re not satisfied with the results of your Airbnb cleaning service, you can do a few things to improve the situation. First, keep in mind that not all Airbnb cleaning services are created equal. Some may be better at cleaning specific areas of your home (like the kitchen), while others may be better at general cleanliness. Second, communicate with the cleaning service in advance if you have specific requests or concerns. Try speaking to them directly. Explain that you’re not happy with the level of cleanliness and ask for a better job.
In the unfortunate event that the cleaning crew does not meet your expectations, you can always ask them to leave and try a different provider for future cleaning.
As a content writer passionate about travel and hospitality, I have a unique perspective on short-term rentals. With years of experience creating engaging, informative content for various clients, I enjoy communicating the benefits and appeal of short-term rental properties. I've been an Airbnb host for the last three years, consistently providing my guests with a high level of hospitality.