Camping has long been a tradition for vacation-goers who want to break away from the bustle of city life and savor the tranquility of nature. But in recent years, camping has been transformed from a rough, back-to-basics experience to a sought-after, chic getaway, thanks to the rise of camping vacation rentals. This evolution of camping into a luxury experience, often dubbed “glamping,” has appealed to a broader audience and opened a new avenue of investment for property owners. If you’re seeking a unique investment that allows you to diversify your portfolio, appeal to nature lovers, and tap into a burgeoning market, camping vacation properties might be what you’re looking for.
Are you curious about the various types of vacation rental properties?
Our overview of different Airbnb property categories can get you started.
What’s Special about Camping Vacation Rentals
The allure of camping vacation rentals lies in their unique blend of comfort and adventure. Unlike typical urban apartments or beach houses, camping rentals offer guests an immersive experience in nature without sacrificing comfort. It’s about making the wild accessible and cozy. Here’s why investing in a camping rental property can be a worthwhile endeavor:
- Low Maintenance: These properties require less maintenance than traditional vacation homes because they are generally smaller and simpler.
- Nature’s Appeal: Camping rentals are typically located in stunning natural surroundings, providing guests with a unique and serene environment that traditional vacation homes cannot match.
- Growing Market: With the rise of eco-tourism and glamping, the demand for camping vacation rentals is on the upswing.
Investing in camping vacation rentals allows property owners to cater to the growing segment of vacationers seeking a more rustic yet comfortable travel experience.
Types of Camping Vacation Rentals
The spectrum of camping vacation rentals is broad, from minimalist tent setups to luxurious yurts. Each comes with its own set of characteristics and guest expectations.
- Tents: Traditional yet upgraded with amenities like airbeds and heating equipment, tent camping rentals offer a genuinely rustic experience.
- Yurts: These circular tents of Turkish origin offer a more comfortable camping experience with amenities similar to a cabin but with a unique aesthetic.
- Treehouses: Popular among families and couples, treehouses offer a fun and whimsical camping experience.
- Cabins: For those who want a more home-like feel while camping, cabins are the perfect option, often equipped with full kitchens, bathrooms, and multiple bedrooms.
Each of these camping rental types appeals to different guests and comes with unique selling points and guest experiences.
Popular Cities for Camping Vacation Homes
Camping vacation homes are usually found near national parks, coastal areas, or any place that boasts natural beauty. Here are a few U.S cities where camping vacation homes are flourishing:
- Asheville, North Carolina: Known for its vibrant arts scene and historic architecture, Asheville is a gateway to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Traverse City, Michigan: Nestled on the shores of Lake Michigan, Traverse City is known for its outdoor recreation, making it a prime spot for camping vacation homes.
- Bend, Oregon: Nestled against the Cascade Range, it is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise with numerous trails and parks.
- Bar Harbor, Maine: Located near Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor is a quintessential New England coastal town that’s perfect for nature lovers.
- Bozeman, Montana: This city serves as an access point to Yellowstone National Park and is surrounded by four mountain ranges.
And the list goes on. These cities and their surroundings offer a wealth of outdoor activities, making them ideal locations for camping vacation homes.
Common Amenities for Camping Vacation Rentals
Camping vacation rentals often come with amenities that amplify the comfort of the camping experience. Basics might include a comfortable bed, heating or cooling equipment, and an outdoor fire pit or BBQ grill. However, some camping rentals take it a step further, offering unique amenities that enhance the guests’ immersion in nature. These can include:
- Outdoor hot tubs: So guests can unwind under the stars.
- Hammocks: For lounging and enjoying the surroundings.
- Telescope: To stargaze on clear nights.
- Nature guidebooks: To help guests identify local flora and fauna.
These amenities provide an added touch of comfort and luxury to a camping vacation rental, making it more appealing to guests.
Activities and Attractions Near Camping House Rentals
Camping vacation rentals are usually located near areas that offer a plethora of outdoor activities and attractions. Depending on the location, guests might enjoy:
- Hiking and mountain biking: To explore local trails.
- Wildlife viewing: A chance to see local wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Fishing and canoeing: For those near rivers or lakes.
- Star gazing: The night sky can be a spectacular sight in areas with little to no light pollution.
- Photography: Nature and wildlife provide excellent photography opportunities.
How much does a Camping Vacation Property Cost?
The cost of a camping vacation home can vary greatly, depending on the type of camping accommodation, its location, and the amenities offered. For example, a luxurious treehouse in a sought-after location could cost significantly more than a simple tent set up in a less popular area. Here’s a general price range:
- Bar Harbor, Maine: $75,000 to $320,000.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: $100,000 to $400,000.
- Traverse City, Michigan: $60,000 to $275,000.
- Asheville, North Carolina: $50,000 – $200,000
- Bend, Oregon: $60,000 – $250,000
- Bozeman, Montana: $70,000 – $300,000
These costs should serve as a general guide, as prices fluctuate based on various factors.
What Factors Affect the Cost of Camping Vacation Properties?
Several factors can influence the cost of a camping vacation rental. These can include the type of camping accommodation, its location, the land it’s on, and the amenities it offers. Additional costs to consider include:
- Maintenance costs: Regular upkeep and repairs.
- Marketing costs: Advertising the property on booking platforms.
- Utilities: If the property offers electricity, running water, etc.
- Insurance: To protect your investment.
How to make your Camping Rental Property stand out to guests
Making your camping rental stand out can significantly increase its appeal to guests. Here are a few ideas:
- Themed Decor: An aesthetically pleasing, themed decor can make your camping rental Instagram-worthy.
- Unique Amenities: Offering amenities unique to your property, like a tree swing or a private hiking trail, can attract more guests.
- Local Experiences: Partnering with local businesses to offer experiences like guided hikes or cooking classes can make guests’ stay more memorable.
By offering these unique touches, you can differentiate your camping rental from others and attract more bookings.
Camping vacation rentals offer a unique investment opportunity that combines the thrill of nature with the comfort of home. As more vacationers seek out these experiences, the demand for camping vacation homes continues to rise. By understanding the different types of camping vacation rentals, the most popular locations, and how to differentiate your property, you can decide whether investing in a camping vacation home is right for you.
Former Airbnb host turned content writer and avid runner, passionate about crafting engaging content, sharing inspiring stories, and finding joy in the power of running. Let's make every word and every step count!